Earth Month 2014
Experience programs every weekend that will inspire a better understanding of our world.
This April, Biosphere 2 hosts Earth Month, a series of special-activity weekends providing various informative and interactive learning experiences. What better way to commemorate Earth Day than to stop into The University of Arizona Biosphere 2 for their NEW Rainforest and Ocean Galleries?
Biosphere 2 serves as a gateway for science education and a tool to support research underway by University of Arizona (UA) scientists. As a laboratory for large-scale projects, such as the Landscape Evolution Observatory (LEO), the university's stewardship of Biosphere 2 allows the UA to understand the fate of water in the southwest. Earth Month 2014 will allow Biosphere 2 researchers and staff a unique chance to interact with visitors on these topics.
“In the past we’ve focused almost exclusively on celebrating one day, Earth Day (April 22nd), which is great, but Earth Month allows us the chance to really showcase Biosphere 2 and, by extension, the life-support functions of this one planet that we all share,” said Kevin Bonine, Biosphere 2 Director of Education and Outreach. “In addition to research, a key mission of ours is improving public scientific awareness, and we think Earth Month will be a different and exciting way to do this,” he added.
Celebrate Earth Month 2014 with four weekend programs. Each weekend focuses on different facets of our lives on planet Earth, and on the related scientific research at Biosphere 2. Check the Biosphere 2 website for details and schedule of hands-on activities, live animals, science content, and more.
April 5-6: Energy
- Including additional exploratory tours of the original and new energy infrastructure of Biosphere 2.
- Experience the Power of the Potato!
- Meet live animals from the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum.
April 12-13 : Weather
- Examine the gigantic LEO research hillslopes with the scientists. (LEO experimental space open 10-3, scientists present 11-2)
- Check out Earth's weather patterns on our Omni-Globe!
- Live music by Mark Freshwater on the rainforest plaza!
- Learn how citizen science can help us better understand our living planet.
April 19-20: Ocean
- Special tours of the beach and ocean biome.
- Explore the B2 Ocean Gallery and the “Return to the Sea of Cortez” exhibit.
- Hands-on activities with the Marine Awareness & Conservation Society, Fin Foundation, and Tucson Audubon Society.
- Learn about our crowdfunding RocketHub campaign.
- Introduction of new organisms into the ocean biome for the first time in the UA-led era!
- See student projects including the launch of a remotely operated vehicle (ROV).
- Meet live animals from the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum (on Sunday from noon - 2pm).
April 26-27: Earth Day
- Learn how insects work for you.
- Release ladybugs inside Biosphere 2!
- See the new Manzo Elementary art exhibition.
- Experience a Gila monster, king snake, and other species up close and personal!
All Earth Month activities and special content* are included with the price of admission to Biosphere 2. For more information, prices, and hours of operation, please call 520-838-6200 .
*Activities and special content subject to change.